Medicare Part C is referred to as a Medicare Advantage Plan. Medicare Advantage plans are health care plans offered by private insurance companies that provide extra benefits and coverage.
With a Medicare Advantage Plan or ‘MA’ Plan, you use a health insurance card and may be restricted to see certain doctors or hospitals that are a part of your plan. MA Plans include:
• Medicare Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)
• Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO)
• Private Fee-for-Service Plans
• Medicare Special Needs Plans
ESRD patients are only eligible for Medicare Advantage if:
• Your MA Plan is offered through your employer or union health plan
• You have had a successful kidney transplant
• You already had a MA Plan if you are over 65
ERSD patients are eligible for Medicare Special Needs Plans (SNP) if one is available in their area. If you are interested in joining a MA Plan or have questions, you can contact the state health insurance assistance program. You can also contact Medicare at 1(800) 633-4227.